Some Far Corner Of A Foreign Field…… is South Africa
Delville Wood was sometimes known as Devil’s Wood, and the fighting there during the battle of the Somme was particularly ferocious. The majority of the wood was eventually taken by South African soldiers on the 15th of July 1916, and they held on grimly during numerous German counterattacks for six days, until they were relieved.
Liquid error: Unknown operator =
Delville Wood is 7 miles north-east of Albert. It is located just east of the village of Longueval, off the D20 that runs towards Guillemont. It is well signposted.
The French recognised the extraordinary valour of the south African forces by decreeing that Delville Wood is South African territory.